HOW TO CLEAN SILVER JEWELRY
What do you do when your favorite 925 sterling silver earrings look tarnished or your silver jewelry begins to darken or smell due to wear. Our simple how to clean Sterling silver jewelry methods will guide you to clean and sparkle all your silver jewelry without ruining it.
WHY DOES SILVER TARNISH?
The copper in 925 Sterling Silver reacts with its environments such as moisture and air, lotions, perfumes, household cleaners, chlorinated water, and even sunlight can all cause tarnish. Copper is added to make malleable pure silver harder and more durable.
RULES TO PREVENT TARNISH
- Take your jewelry off before you get in contact with water, swimming or cleaning Jewelry should be the last thing you put on when getting dressed.
- After each wear clean your silver jewelry in hot soapy water then rinse and dry it well.
- When not in use, wrap it in anti-tarnish felt cloth jewelry bag and also place a couple of pieces of white chalk in your jewelry box.
- Your body’s oils will actually help prevent tarnish, so wearing your jewelry often will keep it looking good.
HOW TO CLEAN SILVER JEWELRY
The following DTY methods work best to remove the tarnish from your jewelry.
Factors to consider depending on how tarnished the silver earrings are or whether your silver rings are plain or have gemstones or are embellished with soft, porous stones like turquoise or pearls. Always check how to treat the silver with that have set stones.
PLEASE NOTE: do not use toothpaste. It’s too abrasive and might cause scratches on the surface. Instead, try a commercial silver polish.
Lightly tarnished Silver Jewelry:
- Pour 2 cups of not too hot water just warm water in a bowl then add 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap and gently swirl around to loosen dirt.
- Add your jewelry carefully to the bowl one item at a time, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Gently rub with a soft cloth or a soft toothbrush to loosen grime.
- Rinse each piece of jewelry under the tap and dry with a microfiber cloth. Water and dry basically.
Heavily tarnished sterling silver:
This method relies on electrolytic cleaning to counteract the tarnish.
- Place aluminium foil sheet on the bottom of a baking dish then place your sterling silver jewelry on it the aluminium foil.
- In a deep saucepan on the stove, heat 4 cups of water to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup table salt, 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap.
- CAREFULLY pour the hot boiling water into the baking sheet so to completely cover your 925 sterling silver jewelry. Allow it to sit for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove each piece of jewelry out of the hot liquid with a fork. Rinse well under tap and then dry thoroughly with a soft, lint-free cloth.
PLEASE NOTE: With very tarnished gem embellished silver jewelry or antique items then take it to a jeweller for professional cleaning. They will provide you with the right cleaning solutions that go beyond soap and water.
HOW 925 STERLING SILVER IS MADE
Most silver jewelry is 925 sterling silver an alloy of copper and pure silver. Pure silver is much too soft to be used in jewelry, so it is often combined with other metals to form an alloy and create a more durable metal. When 92.5% of pure silver is mixed with 7.5% of other metals (often copper, nickel or zinc) the resulting alloy is called 925 sterling silver.
SHOP NOW: https://www.elevatejewelryco.com/
MORE JEWELRY CLEANING LINKS:
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: 925 sterling silver jewelry, HOW TO CLEAN SILVER JEWELRY, jewelry, SILVER, sterling silver